Monday, May 17, 2010

Underwater gardening




The stem plants and riccia having been growing unchecked in the aquarium for some time, and I think the rasboras were getting annoyed at the lack of open water. Yesterday we took out a ton of plants (moved them to the other tank; we can plant them there later) and the aquarium is much clearer now. I hope this doesn't trigger an algae bloom, though the shrimp seem to be keeping that in check. Water is still a little blue; don't know why...maybe clearing out the plants (also took out a ton of algae) might help.

Spent half an hour looking for the second cowfish today. Thought I'd checked everywhere (started checking outside of the tank, which is always a bad sign), and then he just casually swam out from behind a leaf that I'd checked several times. What!

Rasboras are looking okay. Thought I'd developed a scheme for identifying them (double-stripe-fish, hunchback-fish, potbelly-fish, dark-fish, skinny-fish, and normal-fish), but I looked again after feeding them, and the coloration / body shape cues are not all that permanent (and they were quite subtle to begin with). The double-stripe on the anal fin is a unique distinction, though, so I guess that's 1 fish down, 5 to go. There was one fish listing slightly last night; thought I saw him doing it today (it was hunchback fish), but the more I looked, the more it seemed like all the fishes were listing, so maybe it's just the optics playing tricks on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment