Saturday, August 13, 2011

Sock experiment

Following on the heels (pun totally intended) of the windshield wiper experiment (which, by the way, indicates no difference between the two brands), I have started a sock experiment. My old socks developed holes in the heels, so I bought new ones:

  • 6 pairs of the more expensive Hanes Premium Cushion Low Cut (78% cotton, 20% polyester, 1% natural latex rubber, 1% other fiber)
  • 10 pairs of the cheaper Jerzees (a Russell brand) Low Cut (84% cotton, 13% polyester, 1% other fiber). 

The Hanes socks are identifiable by the black "Hanes" lettering (my old socks have red lettering, and the Jerzees are blank.

To remove bias in usage patterns, I will FIFO my clean sock supply (so each sock is worn exactly once between washes) and will randomize them upon queuing. Now we'll see which ones wear out first.

1 comment:

  1. Update! All of the Jerzees socks now have holes in them, and none of the Hanes socks do (though some of them are getting close).

    Conclusion: Buy brand-name socks!

    ReplyDelete