Monday, January 3, 2011

Windshield wipers

With it being the rainy season and all, I decided to replace the windshield wipers. The old ones are at least 3 years old and don't really squeegee the water away so much as spread it around underneath, leaving concentric trails of water droplets.

At the store, there was quite the assortment of windshield wiper blades. After debating between the "economy" and "premium" brands, I decided to test them both out. I have currently installed a 21" Rain-X ($9) on the driver side and a 19" Anco ($5) on the passenger side.

In the first test, there is no difference between the two - they both remove all the water, and do so absolutely silently, which was a surprise to me because I'd gotten so used to the noise from the old blades that I thought something was wrong when I hit the wiper control and didn't hear anything in response.

So now we'll see if one lasts longer than the other.

1 comment:

  1. Update: We saw never saw any difference between the two, and it is now about time to replace them again.

    Conclusion: No need to splurge on windshield wipers. Though next time we may try the beam-type wipers; I have those on my new car and they work pretty great.

    ReplyDelete