Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Hummingbirds

After we got back from New Jersey, I took lots of pictures of hummingbirds at our feeder because I wanted to fill up the rest of the film roll so I could develop it. These are from 11/27 to 11/29:

And these (below) might be the same birds as the ones above. The red feathers are iridescent and look black if not viewed from the right angle. I'm pretty sure they're a male and a female, and I'm told that they're probably Anna's hummingbirds given the time of year.
They fed for awhile, and then were chased away by another bird.

This guy is probably the king of the feeder: I've never seen him leave except of his own accord. He'll sit on the perch, just hanging out for 10 minutes at a time, calling frequently or sometimes just sticking his tongue out in the air. He didn't even leave when I opened the patio door and walked up to him with the camera.
With flash, you can see the red iridescent feathers. He's also sticking his tongue out here:

A few weeks ago I got a 70-210mm zoom lens! I had two frames left on the roll and took these pictures:
That one (above) was taken through the window at 210mm. Bird is a little out of focus because the autofocus went for the feeder, which is a few inches closer (depth of field is really short!)
For this one, I went onto the patio and shot at 135mm (it was cloudy and I needed the larger aperture). This is from about as close as the lens will focus (~1.5m).

No comments:

Post a Comment