Friday, November 5, 2010

Film back from Snapfish

These came back from Snapfish Thursday (3 day turnaround, just like York Photo). I think they did a slightly better job with dust and scratches. Like the York scans, the brightness on these were also off (I did some software adjustments):
With the 400 speed film, I tried a shot of the fish tank, which is lit by a single 20W fluorescent tube. I think the shutter speed was 1/8 or 1/10.
I really ought to start writing down the exposure information for each shot. I don't remember anything about the shutter speed or lighting.
 The next few photos are from the Palo Alto Foothills Park.
SC contemplating some lichen (Alectoria sarmentosa, I think)
 A duck thing nibbling aquatic stem plants.
The colors on a lot of these came out really muted...I wonder what I can do about that.
Here's that hill I took a picture of in HDR mode on my iPhone. Colors look a lot better here, and I guess the fact that this came out means the film's dynamic range is wider than the iPhone's.
This came out very sharp. Maybe this means my other photos are out of focus...
I keep finding myself distracted by the hard edges on the out-of-focus twigs in the background.

The film definitely renders color differently than digital. I haven't figured out yet under what circumstances that's a good thing...

No comments:

Post a Comment