Tuesday, November 30, 2010

DMV FTW

I got a parking ticket for having expired registration stickers on my car (CVC 5204a). $76. What.

I'm further miffed because I, like a good citizen, renewed my registration online when it was due, but never received the stickers from the DMV. Granted, that was 6 months ago, but maybe I have a chance to contest the citation under subdivision c, which grants exemption if the owner has made the proper application for registration but hasn't yet received the new documents.

I go to the DMV today planning to use this argument to weasel my way out of the $76 parking fine and the $18 sticker replacement fee. After waiting half an hour (even with an appointment), the clerk shot down my plan. She says you can only request no-fee replacement material in the window between 30 and 90 days after registration renewal. She was also highly skeptical of my plan to contest the citation.

But after seeing my ticket, she informed me that if a DMV officer verifies that I've installed new tags, then it's considered "corrected" and I don't have to pay the parking fine, just a $25 administrative fee. And then I guess I was particularly charming, because she waived the sticker replacement fee.

At home, I call the Santa Clara parking IVR system (press 7 for correctable violations), but that says $10. I look up the Santa Clara bail schedule to arbitrate. It defers to the California 2010 uniform bail schedule, which says $25. And I get the feeling that I'm not entitled to the lowest advertised price in this case.

So, yeah - I spent just over an hour at the DMV today, but ended up paying $25 instead of $94. I guess it's a form of PD - those willing to pay subsidize those willing to wait in line. But parking fines isn't your typical market, so is that still a good thing?

No comments:

Post a Comment